In this recipe, the classic American version of meatloaf is presented in a new light. This healthy turkey meatloaf is comforting, extremely moist and flavorful.
Yield: 6 servings
Total Time Taken: 80 minutes
1 ½ pounds ground turkey
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1 green onion, sliced
1 medium-sized green bell pepper
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
¼ cup and 3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
¾ cup and 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt and more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon ground black pepper and more for sprinkling
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Set baking rack in the middle shelf of the oven and let preheat.
- Place a small non-stick skillet pan over medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and let heat.
- Add onion and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes or until nicely golden brown and soft. Then stir in parsley and remove the pan from heat.
- Place turkey in a large bowl, add onion mixture, ¼ cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, salt and black pepper. Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add to turkey mixture. Stir until fully combined and then shape mixture into a loaf.
- Transfer loaf into a 9 by 5 inches loaf pan and brush remaining ketchup across the top.
- Scatter with green onion, then drizzle with remaining oil and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of each salt and black pepper.
- Place loaf pan into the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes until cooked through. Serve warm.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: 60.3 Cal, 3.8 g total fat (0.8 g sat. fat), 25 mg chol., 171.4 mg sodium, 1.5 g carb., 0.2 g fiber, 4.7 g protein.